When it comes to masturbation, you likely have your tried and true methods. After all, you know your body better than anyone else. So, it can be tempting to lean on the same go-to routine whenever the mood strikes. While life’s too short not to experiment with self-pleasure, we know that figuring out new ways to mix things up with masturbation can be a challenge. That’s why we’ve compiled these handy tips (pun intended) to inspire your next solo session. So, keep reading if you’re looking to expand your repertoire of masturbation moves.
“A” Is for Anatomy
Do you know your own penis as well as you think you do? While you’re probably extremely familiar with your area down there, even the most attentive of guys might not know everything about their anatomy. Why is this important? Well, the more you know about how your body works, the more pleasurable possibilities you unlock. Let’s talk about a few erogenous zones you can experiment with.
- Frenulum: On the underside of the penis, you’ll find a stretchy piece of skin where the shaft and head connect known as the frenulum. This seemingly small area is particularly sensitive and stimulating it can lead to a huge boost in pleasure. To stimulate the frenulum, start with a lighter or softer touch than usual. Since this area is so sensitive, a gentle stroke can go a long way.
- Glans: Also commonly known as the “head” of the penis, the glans contain 8,000 nerve endings. This makes it a particularly great spot to focus on during masturbation. To make the most of this area, try using short strokes headed up towards the head of the penis; this can deliver more concentrated pleasure.
- Perineum: The area between the scrotum and anus is known as the perineum. This is also a particularly sensitive area that (when rubbed, stroked, or gently pressed) can lead to a next-level climax. To incorporate this area, you can use your finger or a sex toy to apply light pressure on this area in 30-second intervals while pleasuring yourself. This will help you determine whether a lighter or firmer touch feels best.
- Prostate: Let’s not forget the all-important prostate. While the word “prostate” may conjure up memories of medical settings or doctor’s visits, rest assured that the prostate is actually a powerful pleasure hot spot. To access this area, try standing up and leaning forward slightly. Take things slow, and insert an lubed-up index finger into your anus, feeling along the first couple of inches along the front wall (facing your belly button) for a smooth lump. From there, adjust the pressure and frequency of stimulation until you figure out what feels best to you.
- Testicles: The scrotum and testicles are two other fantastic erogenous zones. While some people prefer stroking, others prefer the feeling of a gentle squeeze or pull on their scrotum. Either way, incorporating your testicles into masturbation can lead to a big pleasure payoff.
A popular technique used in solo and partnered sex is edging. This involves bringing yourself as close to climax as possible, before easing off to deliberately delay orgasm. While this may sound counterintuitive at first, edging can actually lead to more intense and satisfying orgasms once you finally allow yourself to release. Similar strategies are also used to help men who experience premature ejaculation last longer by delaying orgasm.
To give edging a try, practice controlling your arousal by varying your speed and pressure while masturbating. Once you feel close to orgasm, pause for about 30 seconds before continuing. Then, you can repeat this cycle until you want to climax. This strategy is all about paying attention to your body’s signals. Being present in your body and aware of things like your breathing, heart rate, and muscle tension could help you learn how your body reacts as you approach orgasm.
Try Out Some New Moves
While a classic up-and-down motion could certainly get the job done, you may want to switch things up by incorporating new hand movements, grips, and even positions. Here are a few options to try out.
- Try the Palm Swirl: This move can add some interesting variety to your routine. The palm swirl involves using a twisting motion with your hand as you stroke up and down. To try this method, place the palm of your hand flat against your shaft. From there, grasp your penis and twist your hand and wrist while stroking up and down. This swirling motion can provide a unique sensation and stimulate different areas of the penis.
- Use a New Grip: Don't be afraid to change up your grip to discover new sensations. Experiment with a firm grip, a looser grip, or even using just your fingertips. Each variation can offer different levels of pleasure.
- Test Different Positions: Changing up your body position can also change the sensation of masturbation. For example, you could try standing, sitting, lying down, or even kneeling to find the position that works best for you.
Grab Some Lube
Like many other guys, you may be used to reaching for whatever body lotion or petroleum jelly is within arm’s reach to get the job. However, it’s good to pause and consider if you’ve ever invested in real lube for self pleasure. Lubrication provides extra comfort and pleasure, without the discomfort of friction. Try experimenting with different types of lubricants and pay attention to the varying sensations they bring. For example, water-based lubricants are usually the friendliest option for sensitive skin. And if you’re in it for the long haul, you may want to try a thicker silicone-based lube. There are also warming and cooling lubricants for those who want an added layer of sensation.
Whether you’re looking to enhance solo or partnered play, using a top-notch lube is important. Luckily, options like Champ’s personal lubricants bring game-changing comfort in a high-quality formula.
If you're feeling adventurous, try incorporating sex toys into your routine. Devices like masturbators, sleeves, or vibrating rings can add a new dimension to your next masturbation session. Plus, sex toys can be the gift that keeps on giving. Not only can they enhance self-pleasure, but you can use them during partnered play as well. This is especially worth calling out considering that some sex toys can be a pricey investment. But don’t let that discourage you. Even if you opt for something like a simple sleeve or ring, there’s a world of options out there when it comes to sex toys.Remember, masturbation is a personal and individual experience. There is no one-size-fits-all approach, so feel free to explore until you find what works best for you. When it comes to exploring different masturbation techniques, it’s all about the journey. It’s completely normal to not find your next mind-blowing move right away. All that means is that you can have more fun trying again The key is to prioritize your comfort and enjoyment; the rest will fall into place.